- Run hot water that is pretty hot but not so hot that you can’t touch it with your finger. Place a corner of a clean washcloth under the hot water to soak it.
- Wring it out so it’s no longer dripping.
- Immediately hold the corner with your finger directly on top of the blemish. This is bringing all of the fluid to the surface (where the phrase ”bringing it to a head” comes from). Watch TV or chill for a few minutes until the cloth is no longer warm.
- While holding your finger still directly on top of it, gently slide your finger 1 millimeter in any direction. The whitehead should slide right off with the cloth.
- If not, no worries, you just need to repeat steps 1-4 again until it’s ready and it works.
Congrats, you’ve removed the head without doing any damage or inflaming it! 99% of the time it won’t even bleed or need to scab over. Splash your face a few times with cold water to close the pores, pat dry and medicate it with a benzoyl peroxide cream